Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My head might explode!

I recently returned from a short, little vacation to Disneyland.  The trip was great, but the night we returned, my daughter became sick.  Not normally a big deal, except that I had to work the next day.  When I woke up in the morning, my throat hurt.  This ended up putting quite a damper on my training I was suppose to complete for the weekend (which I ended up not doing at all).  So Friday, my throat hurt.  Saturday, my throat felt a little better, but now I couldn't breathe through my nose, and I had a sprint triathlon to compete in as part of my Team Marathon agreement, so I couldn't back out.  You can read my race report here.  Sunday, I felt pretty destroyed.  It obviously wasn't a great idea for me to race on Saturday, but I had to.  However, being sick, I knew my recovery wouldn't be all that great.  And it wasn't.  I was tired all day on Sunday, and had a sinus headache.  On the plus side, my throat felt better!  Which brings me to my head exploding...

Yesterday (Monday) brought the start of my last week of heavy training for the Goofy Challenge before I start my 3 week taper.  My time is pretty limited, so I knew if I didn't train Monday morning, I probably wouldn't be able to get in.  So, I did the only thing I could, and I woke up at 4:30 a.m. so I could be out the door by 5:15 a.m. so I could run 10 sets of 1/4 mile sprints.  The run actually went pretty well, except for still having a little sinus pressure.  Later in the day, I decided to do what I normally do, and did some weight training.  Now I know what you're thinking, "He sure doesn't look like he does weight training.  He's too skinny!".  Well, just imagine how skinny I'd be if I didn't do any weight training!  I would probably have to wear weighted boots during monsoon season, just in case there was a strong gust of wind, so I wouldn't get blown away!  Anyways, back to the weight training.  When I began my bench press routine, I thought for sure the top of my head was going to blow off and all the pressure in my sinuses would finally be released.  But no.  Then, towards the end of my workout, I did some back extensions.  Wow!  Every time I was bent so my head was below my waist, I thought my eyes were going to pop out.  Thankfully they didn't.  And even more thankfully, I feel a little bit better today.

Now hopefully I can kick this little cold/flu bug to the curb by tomorrow morning because I have an 8 mile run and a dentist appointment.  I'll post how that goes.  Well, just the run.  I don't think I need to post about how perfect my teeth are (or not so perfect, which is probably more likely).

No comments:

Post a Comment