Saturday, July 9, 2011

The great Arizona Haboob!

In case your wondering, no I did not just call you a name, and no I'm not trying to get fresh with you.  I'm simply describing one of the coolest sights in Arizona.  According to Wikipedia, a haboob is:
"A haboob (Arabic هبوب) is a type of intense sandstorm commonly observed in arid regions throughout the world. " (taken from Wikipedia)
In Arizona, this happens every other year or so.  And wouldn't you know it, it happened last Tuesday!  Here's some various images of the awesome incident:


It's basically a giant dust storm engulfing the entire city.  The funny thing is, I was at work when all of this happened, and actually had no idea that it was this crazy outside!  I can't imagine what it would have been like to be out on a training ride or run and to turn and see that madness coming...I know my pace would sure pick up on the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment