Saturday, July 16, 2011

Crossfit...endurance?

If you're not aware, there's a pretty big fitness craze out there, and it happens to be called Crossfit.  It is sort of hard to explain exactly what it is, so you might just want to check out their website.  In short, it's a continually changing workout program that is all inclusive, continually changing, and quite possibly the most popular fitness craze right now.  Here's a video of some Crossfit highlights:


It seems like everyone in my job is doing some version of Crossfit.  I have stayed away because I wasn't too sure how well the short, explosive training plan would transfer over into the triathlon world.  Then I found out about Crossfit Endurance:


Kind of a long video, but it sort of explains the difference between Crossfit and Crossfit Endurance.

The way it works is this: you can either join a Crossfit certified gym so you have all of their equipment and coaching at your disposal, or you can go to their website where they will list each day's workout and just go do it on your own.  I will be doing to second option.  The only difference for me is, I will be staying with my training plan, but trying out the Crossfit Endurance daily workouts in place of my current weight training program.

I've done two days worth of workouts so far, and let me tell you, it kicked my but.  Here's a video of one of the workouts I did:


Let's just say that my time wasn't quite as fast as the people in this video.

Whether or not this will improve my triathlon performance, who knows.  It just seems like it is a good way for me to get in a workout that can apply to both my career, and my hobby.  So now, if you want to do all of the training that I'm doing, all you have to do is check my blog to find out my sport-specific training for the week, and then check out Crossfit Endurance every day to see what strength/crossfit workout I'll be doing for the day!

3 comments:

  1. Just stumbled on to your blog. Nice work with all of your training. I'm racing IM AZ this year also.

    I follow a blog in which a guy using the crossfit endurance plan to try to go sub 10 at an IM. It's crazy. http://sub10im.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen! Thanks for the comment! I checked out that guys blog and it seems pretty interesting. I'm not too sure I believe his claim of "no significant base" though. He seems to have quite the resumé, and consistently runs sub-7:00/mile. Regardless, it is pretty crazy the little amount of training he is doing and he seems to be successful so far. I'm going to follow along and see what happens as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beat Our shoe." It's not hard to see that these are direct shots at CrossFit and Reebok. crossfit shoes review

    ReplyDelete