Friday, July 1, 2011

Weekly Training Tip - Running on a Treadmill

For many runners, the treadmill is their arch nemesis.  Running on a treadmill is viewed as something that "real" runners don't do.  I used to think this way, until I started thinking logically and realized that treadmills are a fantastic tool.

First off, if you're going to run on a treadmill, don't do it like this:


The most obvious use of a treadmill is when there is a day that you need to get a run in, and the weather is not cooperating.  I also find that doing one or two of my weekly runs on a treadmill helps protect my legs a bit.  Running outside, on hard surfaces, takes it toll on your legs.  By running inside on the treadmill, you are able to take away some of that damage that is done.  And yes, I know that running on a treadmill isn't the same as running outside.  My argument to that is this: riding your bike on a trainer is not the same as riding outside, but there are more and more pro's that advocate doing a huge portion of your cycling training on a trainer.

In order to get the treadmill to resemble running outside as much as possible, there's a few adjustments that can be done.  First off, try to keep the incline set to (at least) 1.0.  When you have the treadmill set to an incline of 0, you do not have to work as hard to keep your positioning on the treadmill.  The ground moves for you and all you need to do is shuffle your feet and not really provide yourself with any "forward" momentum.  By increasing that incline, you have to work just a little bit to keep yourself in the middle of that treadmill.

The other thing that I like to do is try and set the treadmill at a slightly faster pace than I would normally run.  Why?  Well, the long and short of it is that if you are training based on your heart rate, running an 8:00/mile pace outside will require a higher heart rate than running an 8:00/mile on a treadmill would.  So in order to bring that heart rate up to the same level, you can increase that speed slightly.

Here's an example of what I do on a mid-distance type of run:

*I leave the incline set to 1.0, unless I am going to be doing hill work.

Warm up: Start running at a speed of 6.0 for 1:00, followed by :30 of walking at a speed of 3.5.  Then run for 1:00 at a speed of 6.5, followed by a :30 walk at 3.5.  I repeat this process until I reach a distance of 1 mile, which is usually just under 10:00.  Here's a full list of the speeds/times
  • 6.0/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 6.5/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 7.0/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 7.5/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 8.0/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 8.5/1:00 and then I increase to 9.0 until I reach a distance of 9.7, at which point I walk at the 3.5 speed until I reach the 1.0 mile mark.
Main Set:  For this example, I'll use a 6 mile set.  Here's a breakdown of one way to do the set:
  • Mile 1 - use your goal race pace as a starting point.  Let's use 7:15/mile, or a speed of 8.4.
  • Mile 2 - keep the speed where it is.
  • Mile 3 - keep the speed where it is.
  • Mile 4 - keep the speed at 8.4 until you reach a distance of 3.2 miles.  At this point, increase the speed by .1, and continue to do so every .2 miles.
  • Mile 5 - by the start of mile 5 (when you hit 4.0 on the distance), you should be at the speed of 8.9.  Continue to increase the speed by .1 every .2 miles.
  • Mile 6 - by the start of mile 6 (when you hit 5.0 on the distance), you should be at the speed of 9.4.  Here, you can either continue to increase the speed, or keep it where it is, depending on how you feel.
Cool Down:  For every run I do on a treadmill, my cool down is always the same.  I take 5:00 to go roughly 0.3 miles.  I do this by slowing down my speed to 4.5 for 1:00, 4.0 for 1:00, 3.5 for 2:00, and 3.0 for 1:00.

Here is one way to attack a long distance run on the treadmill:

*Again, I keep the incline set to 1.0 for every treadmill run, unless I'm doing hill work.*

Warm up: (the exact same for every workout) Start running at a speed of 6.0 for 1:00, followed by :30 of walking at a speed of 3.5.  Then run for 1:00 at a speed of 6.5, followed by a :30 walk at 3.5.  I repeat this process until I reach a distance of 1 mile, which is usually just under 10:00.  Here's a full list of the speeds/times
  • 6.0/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 6.5/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 7.0/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 7.5/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 8.0/1:00, 3.5/:30
  • 8.5/1:00 and then I increase to 9.0 until I reach a distance of 9.7, at which point I walk at the 3.5 speed until I reach the 1.0 mile mark.
Main Set: Now lets say you are doing a 13 mile run.  In most of my training, my "long" run days are run at a pace slightly slower than my goal race pace.  So let's say you plan on running an average of 8:15/mile for your upcoming race.  On a treadmill, you could set the pace anywhere from 8:30/mile to 8:00/mile and probably be alright.  Here's what I would do:
  • I would break this long run up into smaller, equal parts.  Let's do 3.25 sections (done four times equals 13!)
  • Pick your speed and keep it constant.  Try to resist increasing your speed until the last 3.25 mile section.
  • After each 3.25 mile section, change the speed to 3.5 (or slower) and walk for a couple of minutes.  I don't normally do this when I run outside, but I find that doing it when I am running on a treadmill allows me to focus better.  That couple minute break is more of a mental break from running in place!
  • Most treadmills time-out at an hour (some less!), so make sure you know what your treadmill does before you start.  Personally, I count the "reset" time in my overall time (I figure it's like stopping at an intersection if you're running outside).
  • If you're feeling good after the first 3 sections, go ahead and increase your speed *slightly* for the last few miles.  I say slightly, because the point of the long run is to work on keeping your heart rate BELOW and certain level.  So if you get your heart rate too high at the end, those last few miles are working you anaerobically instead of aerobically.
 Cool Down:  For every run I do on a treadmill, my cool down is always the same.  I take 5:00 to go roughly 0.3 miles.  I do this by slowing down my speed to 4.5 for 1:00, 4.0 for 1:00, 3.5 for 2:00, and 3.0 for 1:00.

Obviously, you would want to adjust the speeds for whatever you goals are, just be sure to not fall off like those knuckleheads from the video.

TREADMILL TIPS
There's a few things I do that make my treadmill experience a little more enjoyable than they used to be.  Here's the short and sweet of them:
  • Bring a sports bottle to drink out of.  Don't try drinking from a regular cup.  Squeeze bottles of the best.
  • I bring a few small hand towels with me.  I tend to get pretty sweaty on the treadmill, so I bring them to wipe off my face and arms.  Actually, I give myself a little wiping every .25 of a mile.  Not only does this keep me from dripping sweat all over the machine (which makes clean up a bit quicker), but it gives my mind another thing to focus on, other than running in place.  I fold the towels in half twice and wipe, repeating to use the same side until I decide it's too sweaty.  Then, I simply switch to a different side of the towel until it's all used up.
  • Just like any other longer workout, don't forget to use a sports drink and/or gel packs (or whatever other nutrition you plan on using during your race).
  • Find something that will keep you motivated during your run, whether it be T.V., a movie, music, reading a book, whatever.
Ok, that's all I can think of for now.  Sorry for such a long post.  I'm trying to do a better job at going a little more in depth, in case there's actually people out there that can use the info that I'm throwing out there!  Now all that's left is for you to hop on a treadmill and get to work!

1 comment:

  1. Really this is great tips about treadmills..this is most important in life..and great explain about this topic..i get some new idea about treadmill.. Treadmills India

    ReplyDelete