Monday, December 12, 2011

I think my recovery phase is over

My peak race for this year was Ironman Arizona.  I had been training for 42 weeks, so I was more than ready for some time off.  Since Ironman Arizona took place on November 20th, I been hitting my recovery head on.  And by that I mean I really haven't been doing any workouts.

Of course, "workouts" is a relative term.  Sure, I've ridden my bike a few times, run on the treadmill a time or two, and even ran the Las Vegas half marathon with The Wife.  What I haven't done is any workouts with a purpose or goal.  Usually, when I'm doing my training for a race, I have a specific goal for each workout, whether it's a distance, time, or speed.  So my way of recovering has been to just sort of do some cardio when I feel like it.  And since I hate swimming so much, I haven't even looked at a pool over the last few weeks!

But it's just about time for the rest period to end.  I actually should have ended it last week, but life has been pretty busy lately, so I figured another week would be alright.  So now I get to work back into figuring out a way to work out almost every day!  Woo hoo!

As for the actual training plan that I will be following, that's top secret.  I've been receiving threats from some of the other guys that I'll be racing with in Ironman Coeur d'Alene, and so I'm going to keep this one close to my heart.  Ok, that's a lie...I'm still going to post it (the threat part is absolutely true!!!).  I'm actually getting the plan that a buddy of mine used in Ironman Arizona to go sub-11:00.  Now, I'm not saying that sub-11:00 is my goal (or, am I?), I'm just saying that he obviously had success with this plan, so I'm going to give it a whirl.  This plan doesn't actually start for a few more weeks, so until then I'm just going to get back into working out regularly and do a lot of technique work (because I suppose I can improve on technique.  Shocking, I know).

And with that, I'm off to train!  Thanks for reading!

(ok, I lied again.  I'm not going to train right now.  It's 8:45 at night and I'm just going to watch some TV and go to bed.  But tomorrow!  Tomorrow I will begin training! Ha!)


2 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    Sounds like you and i are starting up CdA training at the same time. Im technically preparing for Oceanside 70.3 but it'll all dovetail into CdA training. Nice to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, that's awesome that you're doing CdA too! This will be my first Ironman that is not IMAZ, so it's going to be a great experience. Good luck with your training and maybe I'll see you out there on race day!

    ReplyDelete