Saturday, January 29, 2011

IMAZ Training - Week 1 schedule

 
Week 1 is upon us!  Well, me, I guess.  I'm pretty excited to get back into training for all three sports.  I pretty much neglected biking and swimming during my marathon training, which I shouldn't have done.  However, my wife was thankful for it (or maybe she wasn't, and prefers I be gone training more...).  Anyways, these first few weeks are going to be pretty laid back.  There's set workouts, but if I'm not able to squeeze in a full workout, I'm not gonna stress too much.  Running is the only aspect that I can't skimp on, since I have a 12-person, 200-mile relay in three short weeks!  So without any further delay, here is week 1!
  • Sunday - Run - 12 x 400m @ 1:19 with :90 rest intervals
  • Monday - Swim - 30 minutes of easy Zone 2-3 swimming.  Bike - 45 minutes of Zone 2 spinning, shifting through various gears to simulate rolling hills.
  • Tuesday - Run - 2 miles @ 7:46/mile, 3 miles @ 6:11/mile, 1 mile @ 7:46
  • Wednesday - Swim - 30 minutes of easy Zone 2-3 swimming, including drills.  Bike - 1:00 of Zone 2 spinning, shifting through various gears to simulate rolling hills.
  • Thursday - Run - 8 miles @ 6:49/mile
  • Friday - Swim - 45 minutes of easy Zone 2-3 swimming, followed by 15 minutes of easy spinning on the bike
  • Saturday - 1:30 of easy spinning, including 5 sets of "spin-ups"*, followed immediately by a 30 minute run.
*Spin-ups are done in an easy gear, spinning as fast as you can (without bouncing).  The goal is to gradually build to your max cadence over 1 minute, then stay at your max cadence for as long as possible. When you need a break, recover for at least one minute, then repeat.

I forgot to mention something earlier.  Most of this training is based off of heart rate zones.  If you're going to do any of this training,  go to this website and do one of the tests to find your recommended training zones (also found in Joe Friel's "The Triathlete's Training Bible").

No comments:

Post a Comment