Thursday, February 3, 2011

Separate Ways...

When I see those two words, the first thing that comes to my mind is quite possibly one of the greatest songs Journey ever created.  If you're too old, suffering some memory loss and can't remember, or too young and have never heard of Journey, here's the video (quite possibly the best four minutes of your life!):


Music videos don't get much better than that!  The other thing that comes to mind is my recent separation from CoachMeTriathlon.com.  I know I just wrote a post about joining up with them the other day, but I think I was just a little more hopeful than realistic.  To explain what happened, and how the decision was made, I took the time to grant a once-in-a-lifetime interview, that really gets into the mind of Jason.  Here is the interview in full:

jasontris:  It seems as if you were pretty excited about this new coaching site.  What changed in the last 48 hours?

me:  I think I just started being realistic with myself.  I'm already stretched pretty thin (and  that was not intended to be a pun about how skinny I am!).  I work 56 hours a week, and am just getting into my training for this triathlon season.  On top of that, I have my family to keep in mind.  There's only so many hours in a week, and I'm already gone for a good portion of those hours.  I don't think it's fair for me to demand more "me" time.  Sometimes you just have to know when to say no, which is hard for me.

jasontris:  Well, what about the other athletes out there that are in need of some coaching?  Are you trying to tell me that you are so greedy that you can't give just a couple of hours a week to help someone out?
me:  Wow, are you kidding me?  Feel free to speak your mind buddy.  Well, to answer your question, I know there are people out there who need help.  I'll be more than happy to help out through emails or blogs.  I just don't have the spare time right now to provide for one-on-one coaching.

jasontris:  But what about coaching during your training?  Wouldn't that be an option that wouldn't require more hours away?

me:  That is a possibility.  However, I feel that if I'm out doing my training, focusing on what I need to be doing, then I shouldn't be charging someone else to be there with me.  If I'm not going to be focused on a "client" 100%, then I shouldn't be charging them.  If anyone wants to join me during my training and ask questions, feel free.  No charge.

jasontris:  Really?  No charge?  What about making money off of your knowledge like other coaches?

me:  That's good for other coaches.  All of the things I've learned, not that there's a whole lot,  I've learned for free.  Nobody charged me for the questions I asked.  It's kinda like that whole pay-it-forward thing I guess.  And really, who am I to think that I can charge someone?  That's just crazy talk.

jasontris:  So where do you stand with CoachMeTriathlon.com now?  I can't imagine they were too happy with you.

me:  Well, I sent them a very apologetic letter.  They might be pissed and cursing me.  If they are, oh well.  I don't know any of them personally.  I figure, if they were going to let me be a coach, they have some "forgiving" standards, and there are probably a ton of other people out there who would love to be part of this start-up group.  I'm not saying I won't ever revisit the whole idea.  It just wasn't the right time.  I think my family would agree.

jasontris:  So, now that this coaching deal is off the table, what's next for you?

me:  In terms of triathlons/racing, I have a few races on the schedule this year.  Mainly, though, I'm looking forward to giving Eric Byrnes some words of encouragement as I pass him at this years Ironman Arizona!

Wow, what a deep interview!  Just in case you're wondering, I did not interview myself.  I would never do such a cheesy thing!  Ok, maybe I would.  Whatever.  I still think CoachMeTriathlon.com looks like an awesome thing, just not for me at the moment.  

Now don't everybody start sending me messages for free tips all at once!

1 comment:

  1. Bwahhahahahaha! That video is hilarious... I love it!

    ReplyDelete