Saturday, May 28, 2011

Update on My Running, and My Pain

Just a few days ago, I jumped on the treadmill for a super laid back run, just to test out the ol' shins.  I took a completely different approach than I normally do when running, but it was all in an effort to baby my left shin.

I started off with 10:00 of walking and running, alternating every minute or so, and never running faster than a 10:00/mile pace.  After the warm up, I did three sets of a run/walk structure, at a 4:00 run to 1:00 walk ratio.  For this part, I bumped the speed up to 7.0 on the treadmill...still not too fast.  Once I was done with those three sets, I cooled down with some walking for another 5:00.  All together, it was only a 30:00 run.

So far, my plan is working.  I rested my legs for two weeks, and was able to ease back into running without any pain.  My plan for the rest of the weeks is complete two more runs, each lasting about 45:00.  I'm trying to be extra cautious as I build myself back up because I don't want to have to take any more time off.  I've sort of come to grips with the fact that I won't be able to push as hard as I'd like to at my first race that's coming up (the Disneyland Half Marathon), but that's ok.  I have my goal race to stay focused on.

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed, and if you would, keep them crossed just a little longer.  I won't really have peace of mind until I'm able to build myself back up to a point that at least resembles where I was about two weeks ago.  But hey, progress is progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment